Ely Amnesty Group to focus on human rights in Poland and Hungary at next city meeting
- Credit: Supplied/Ely Amnesty Group
The popular Ely Amnesty Group is back and is gearing up for another meeting at the Babylon Gallery on Waterside.
Amnesty Talks is back on Tuesday, February 18 at 7pm and the focus is on human rights in Poland and Hungary, which are under attack by authoritarian governments.
A spokesman said: "In Poland, thousands have taken to the streets in defence of the independence of the judiciary.
"The Polish government rewards, disciplines, punishes and silences judges and prosecutors as it wishes.
"In Hungary, the government has clashed with the EU about rule-of-law concerns and reformed the country's institutions, concentrating power and media into the hands of prime minister Viktor Orban."
You may also want to watch:
Ulrike Schmidt is Amnesty International co-ordinator for central Europe and she will discuss the rise of the far right in central Europe.
She will also discuss discrimination and persecution of Roma people across Europe.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph