The annual change of Presidents of the Rotary Club of Ely took place at their weekly luncheon meeting at Ely s Beet Club last Wednesday. Mike Axford has been President of the club since this time last year. The year has seen the repeat of regular events s
The annual change of Presidents of the Rotary Club of Ely took place at their weekly luncheon meeting at Ely's Beet Club last Wednesday.
Mike Axford has been President of the club since this time last year. The year has seen the repeat of regular events such as the Aquafest, the annual barbecue, the Christmas collection round Ely, Kids Out, and the Rotary International Cheese and Wine Sunday, plus two new events: The Big Band concert and the Race Night, both of which will become annual events in future.
The new President, Sue Thompson, has been a member of Rotary since 1997, and is the first lady to become President of this Club. She follows her father, who was a member of Ely Rotary for 15 years.
In her opening address, Ms Thompson stated that she would like to see an increase in club membership. She also said that they would continue seeking out people who need some financial support, or even just some help and guidance, and that Rotary, as always, is here to help.
You may also want to watch:
She added that she was looking forward to a successful year, and enrolling many new members.
Ms Thompson intends to run a President's Project for Life-Boxes to provide life-boxes which could be available for when there is an international disaster.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
If anyone would like to think about joining this very worthwhile organisation, or would like information about Rotary in general, they are invited to visit the website, www.elyrotary.co.uk.
Our picture shows new president Sue Thompson receiving the chain of office from Mike Axford. Photo: SUPPLIED