Aldi Gets Green Light
ITS official – Aldi will be up and running in Ely by Christmas next year – provided developers sign an agreement with the council by the end of the month. Councillors voted to give plans the go-ahead today (Wednesday) in what is seen as a victory for th
ITS official - Aldi will be up and running in Ely by Christmas next year - provided developers sign an agreement with the council by the end of the month.
Councillors voted to give plans the go-ahead today (Wednesday) in what is seen as a victory for the German store over its native rival Lidl.
Lidl, who had their bid to to build a store on Angel Drove refused - lodged an objection to Aldi's plans to build on Lisle Lane but despite the company's plea, councillors voted seven to four to allow Aldi, who would employ 20-30 staff, to go ahead.
The developer will also contribute towards a wide avenue-style footpath linking Lisle Lane and the Vineyards to the city centre. Planners want this constructed before the store opens and will discuss the route of delivery lorries, noise abatement, and car parking with the developer before the green light is given to start building work.
"We will be looking for a very substantial financial contribution to traffic problems that the city has and will have in future," Cllr Peter Moakes told Garry Ellis, an agent acting on behalf of Aldi.
Another non-food store will also be constructed at the back of the site - the developer is in talks with three different operators, and a small pocket of land left on what used to be Thurlow Nunn Standen could be used for housing.
- 1 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 2 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 3 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 4 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 7 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 8 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 Ely quintet win Great Britain taekwondo call-ups
Plans have not yet been submitted but three houses could be built to the east of the new Aldi building.