Alcohol Ban For in Ely's Jubilee Gardens To Tackle Anti-Social Behaviour
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely s Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year. Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent mo
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely's Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year.
Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent months and East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) is planning to introduce an Alcohol Consumption Order to tackle the problem.
Under the order, anyone found by police in possession of alcohol in the gardens may be asked to leave or to forfeit the drink, but officers insist that the new order will only target those who are causing a nuisance.
Ely area Sector Inspector Andy Bartlett said: "This order won't affect people who want to have a picnic with a glass of wine or those who want to drink responsibly, this is designed to enable us to take alcohol from people who we believe are causing or are likely to cause trouble in the area."
You may also want to watch:
Ste Thornley, chairman of East Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership, said: "Orders restricting the consumption of alcohol in a public place are not normally considered but in the case of Jubilee Gardens we hope to prevent anti social drinking becoming a major problem. I would like to stress that if this order is approved it will not stop anyone from drinking alcohol in the park if they are socialising with friends or having a family picnic.
- 1 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 2 £2m in government funding secured to explore A10 improvements
- 3 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 4 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 5 New chief executive for combined authority will earn up to £200k a year
- 6 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 7 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 8 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 9 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 10 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry