Alcohol Ban For in Ely's Jubilee Gardens To Tackle Anti-Social Behaviour
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely s Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year. Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent mo
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely's Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year.
Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent months and East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) is planning to introduce an Alcohol Consumption Order to tackle the problem.
Under the order, anyone found by police in possession of alcohol in the gardens may be asked to leave or to forfeit the drink, but officers insist that the new order will only target those who are causing a nuisance.
Ely area Sector Inspector Andy Bartlett said: "This order won't affect people who want to have a picnic with a glass of wine or those who want to drink responsibly, this is designed to enable us to take alcohol from people who we believe are causing or are likely to cause trouble in the area."
You may also want to watch:
Ste Thornley, chairman of East Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership, said: "Orders restricting the consumption of alcohol in a public place are not normally considered but in the case of Jubilee Gardens we hope to prevent anti social drinking becoming a major problem. I would like to stress that if this order is approved it will not stop anyone from drinking alcohol in the park if they are socialising with friends or having a family picnic.
- 1 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 2 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 County council orders review into £120m lending to This Land
- 5 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 6 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘Fantastic’ week at musical theatre workshop
- 8 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 9 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 10 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure