Alcohol Ban For in Ely's Jubilee Gardens To Tackle Anti-Social Behaviour
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely s Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year. Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent mo
A NEW alcohol order aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour in Ely's Jubilee Gardens is set to come into force early next year.
Incidents of drink-related crime and anti-social behaviour have been on the increase at the award winning gardens in recent months and East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC) is planning to introduce an Alcohol Consumption Order to tackle the problem.
Under the order, anyone found by police in possession of alcohol in the gardens may be asked to leave or to forfeit the drink, but officers insist that the new order will only target those who are causing a nuisance.
Ely area Sector Inspector Andy Bartlett said: "This order won't affect people who want to have a picnic with a glass of wine or those who want to drink responsibly, this is designed to enable us to take alcohol from people who we believe are causing or are likely to cause trouble in the area."
Ste Thornley, chairman of East Cambridgeshire Community Safety Partnership, said: "Orders restricting the consumption of alcohol in a public place are not normally considered but in the case of Jubilee Gardens we hope to prevent anti social drinking becoming a major problem. I would like to stress that if this order is approved it will not stop anyone from drinking alcohol in the park if they are socialising with friends or having a family picnic.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 3 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Gay tweet pastor claims 'constructive dismissal' as school caretaker
- 6 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 7 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
- 8 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told