Affordable homes and community facilities are on the rise in the Ely area says council leader
- Credit: Archant
Community Land Trusts (CLTs) in East Cambridgeshire are moving forward bringing together developers, landowners and residents for the good of towns and villages.
At Stretham and Wilburton CLT, 50 homes are being built, 15 of which are affordable.
Alongside homes will be a doctor’s surgery, small business units and open space.
Cllr Charles Roberts, Deputy Leader at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “The progress we have seen with Community Land Trusts in East Cambridgeshire has been fantastic.
“We see these schemes as a great way of helping local residents get affordable homes as well as well as the infrastructure which is often missing in our more rural areas.
You may also want to watch:
“The beauty of CLTs is they are the product of collaboration between developers, landowners and communities with each project creating lasting benefits for towns and villages for generations to come.
“We should see the first homes in East Cambridgeshire completed by December which I am sure will be a very welcome Christmas present for those residents getting set to move in.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 5 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 10 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
“In Swaffham Prior, building is well under way with the allocation of eight new homes now completed with the prospective owners hoping to move in by Christmas.”
The Thrift CLT for Soham is currently looking for a suitable location with the aim of providing affordable homes for local people, employment opportunities and community facilities.
The Witchford CLT has one site identified but is currently looking for more land and Fordham Parish Council have said they wish to move forward with a CLT for the village.
A working party will now be set up to help with this process.
For more information on Community Land Trusts call 01353 665555.