Aerospace magnate sets his sights on village housing development
- Credit: Archant
Sir Michael Marshall, head of the giant Marshall empire, has submitted plans to build 20 homes on fen farmland in Swaffham Prior.
The aerospace and automobile magnate, worth millions of pounds, is seeking permission from East Cambridgeshire District Council to build the homes on about 2.5 acres of farmland off Rogers Road.
In consultation with council planners, agents acting for Sir Michael said: “The site had been used as farmland until 2013 when the land was taken out of use by the landowners, since that time the land has remained vacant.
“The economic change is from agricultural land to housing of which 40 per cent will be affordable housing and 60 per cent open market housing. The affordable housing is supported by the parish council, which has instigated the creation of a community land trust which will own the affordable housing units.”
The development will also include a small amount of public space and the houses will be designed to “reflect the architectural style and proportions of other houses in the village.”
You may also want to watch:
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, using the reference 14/00303/FUM, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound