Action will be taken to improve safety at bridge where teenager Jack Ure lost his life
- Credit: Archant
Work is set to start next Monday on a £50,000 scheme to improve safety and visibility at Sandhill Bridge, in Littleport.
The programme of works, which is expected to take two weeks, will include improving visibility at the junction with Branch Bank and New River Bank.
The improvements follow pressure from campaigners in Littleport to make it easier for road users on the bridge to see traffic coming towards them.
A petition to force the county council to act was launched last year when Little Downham teenager, Jack Ure, was killed in a three-car collision while trying to turn onto Branch Bank from the Sandhill Bridge.
Ely College Sixth Form student Jack, 18, was killed on June 20, just hours after completing his final A-level exam.
You may also want to watch:
The petition was launched by Jack’s friend, Courtney Pettifor, and saw hundreds of signatures collected before it was handed in to the county council.
Adam Cobb, bridge engineer for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “This £50,000 scheme should improve visibility and safety at the junction of this bridge. “The design of the scheme involved local campaigners and addresses the issue of reduced visibility due to the existing fencing and bridge parapet.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
“We apologise for any delays the works cause which we hope to finish within two weeks of its start on July 28.”
Works will include the removal of existing mesh parapet fencing to improve visibility as well as relocation of street furniture such as signs and bins.
To also improve the view at the junction fencing will be moved and associated works to construct new sheet pile retaining walls and associated earthworks will be carried out.
The planned works are due to take place between Monday to Friday 8am – 4pm. Works are expected to last two weeks and be completed within temporary traffic signals for the safety of the workers and the public.