Aag sings a song of friendship
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark were celebrated at the weekend. Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956. The highlight of
FIFTY years of friendship between Ely and its twin cathedral city of Ribe in Denmark were celebrated at the weekend.
Attended by 50 Danish visitors, the event marked the anniversary of the first visit to Ribe by a party from Ely in 1956.
The highlight of the visit was the unveiling of a colourful tapestry hung in the foyer of The Maltings at Ely's riverside.
The tapestry, the work of designer Ullrich Rossing and weaver Mona Lise Martinussen, was unveiled by the mayor of Ely, Cllr John Ison and Cllr Vag Sorensen, representing Ribe.
You may also want to watch:
It depicts the many similarities between the two cathedral cities and it is hoped it will be a permanent reminder of the enduring friendship between the two as well as a tourist attraction.
Also present at the ceremony dressed in his full uniform complete with ceremonial Morning Star pikestaff was Ribe's night-watchman, Aag Grann. Every evening at 10pm he leads a procession through the medieval streets of the Danish city assuring the residents that all is well by singing a goodnight song.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
On Friday night he sang his song walking through the streets of Ely with the Danish visitors and their hosts.
On Saturday, after a day of sightseeing in the city, guests and hosts gathered for a special Evensong in the cathedral followed by an anniversary dinner in the church room at St Mary's Church.
An invitation for a return visit to Ribe in May, 2008 was accepted by Ely members of the Ely-Ribe Association.