A1101 from Shippea Hill to Littleport re-opens following £1m upgrade
- Credit: Archant
A major road through the Fens re-opened today following a £1 million improvement programme.
A spokesman for Cambrideshire County Council said: “The A1101, Mildenhall Road, has now re-opened - our first drought damaged roads scheme completed. Thank you for your patience.”
It means a key commuter route from Shippea Hill to Littleport is open again for the first time in eight weeks.
The A1101 from Shippea Hill to Littleport repair work began on February 19 as part of a campaign to repair more than 40 miles of drought damaged roads.
Closure has meant a lengthy diversion needed along the Mildenhall Road on the A1101 but its closure for 24 hours daily, seven days a week was essential to get the repair work done.
You may also want to watch:
Although the work was only carried out during the day, the county council said that because of the extensive nature of the repairs the roads had to be fully close.
For regular drivers along the road there was the added bonus on Thursday of the Welney Washes road re-opening after a three week closure because of flooding.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'