A Stella performance
ONE of the most original artists in world music will be at Ely Cathedral tomorrow evening (Friday) for a one-off performance in the unique confines of the Lady Chapel. Stella Chiweshe, known as the Queen of Mbira music , will be performing at the chapel
ONE of the most original artists in world music will be at Ely Cathedral tomorrow evening (Friday) for a one-off performance in the unique confines of the Lady Chapel.
Stella Chiweshe, known as the "Queen of Mbira music", will be performing at the chapel from 7.30pm, but will give a pre-concert talk at 7pm.
Caroline, Cawley, marketing officer at Arts Development in East Cambridgeshire, which is promoting the concert, said: "Stella is revered in her country as one of its best musicians - she is a powerful, charismatic performer with an exhilarating, intense vocal style."
She said the cathedral concert was part of an international tour that takes in Italy,
Germany and the Netherlands.
"This is one of her few dates outside London and we are very privileged to have a musician of her reputation playing here in Ely; this concert really will be something special."
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
INFO: Tickets, priced £10-£12, are available from the ADeC box office on 01353 616991. Full details of the concert are at www.adec.org. Tickets will be also be available on the door.