A rum ol’ do as Mike collects special prize for a brace of books including his guide on How to Speak Fen
- Credit: Archant
Retired teacher, local Ely councillor, deputy mayor, author (and occasional Ely Standard photographer) Mike Rouse knows when its dockey time and can safely be relied on to stay home if he has a tizzick.
But despite it looking dark over Will’s Mother, Mike was able to travel to Cambridge on Saturday for a special presentation.
Cambridgeshire Association for Local History honoured him with an award for two of his books – including a local history guide on How to Speak Fen.
Mike is an expert on such things as dockey time (sitting down to a meal), tizzick (a cough) and Will’s Mother (probably going to rain) and these and other phrases are included in his guide.
Mike Petty, president of the association, made the presentation to Cllr Rouse at a ceremony in St John’s Hall, Cambridge. The award was for a brace of local history books since Cllr Rouse has also penned The Story of Ely.
You may also want to watch:
He says the book about Fen Speak contains some phrases “that are quite quirky and odd and you hear them less and less”.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment