A mirror and a battery cause two separate house fires - be blaze aware say Cambridgeshire Fire chiefs

Damage caused by fire that was started by a mirror

Damage caused by fire that was started by a mirror - Credit: Archant

People have been warned to take extra care with everyday household items after two separate house fires - one caused by a mirror and one by a battery.

Damage casued by an expoding battery

Damage casued by an expoding battery - Credit: Archant

n the first, a vanity mirror left on the window sill of a dressing room next to a first floor bedroom of a property in Witchford set fire to two wooden jewellery boxes on the window sill.

The fire then spread to the window sill and smashed the glass.

The owner returned to the house to find their house in Main Street filled with smoke, and the smoke alarms sounding.

Station Commander Dave Allen said: ?There was a very strong sun all day and it was magnifying against the wooden jewellery boxes, setting them and the window sill on fire.

A battery explode causing a house fire

A battery explode causing a house fire - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


“It caused significant damage to the window frame and window sill and smoke damage throughout the property.

“They were fortunate they didn’t have any curtains on the window sill because they would have been the first thing to ignite and the outcome could have been a lot worse.”

Most Read

A fire engine from Ely was called to the property yesterday (Tuesday Jan 24) just after 4pm.

A thermal imaging camera was used to make sure there was no more burning behind the windowsill.

Fire crews were called to a house fire in Little Downham on Saturday (September 25).

Fire crews were called to a house fire in Little Downham on Saturday (September 25). Crews were also called to a shed fire in Sutton on the same day. - Credit: Archant

Firefighters then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property and returned to their station by 5.22pm.

In the second incident, two crews from Cambridge were called to a house fire in the Kings Hedges area of Cambridge after a lithium battery exploded.

A six-year-old boy was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Watch Commander Clive Allen said the owner had been re-energising a genuine make battery bought from ebay as flat and said it was a common battery, used for a household drill.

?The battery started to fizz so they took it off the charger but it continued to fizz before exploding.

There was enough force to penetrate the ceiling plasterboard and hot fragments were thrown across the room, burning the carpet, curtains and furnishings.

This then filled the flat with acrid smoke causing this six-year-old son to suffer smoke inhalation.?

Kevin Napier, head of community fire safety for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: ?Both these incidents highlight the fact that regular, everyday household items and appliances have the potential to cause fires in people?s homes causing damage to both the home and the individuals safety and wellbeing.

“We encourage people to be aware of objects in the home such as shaving or vanity mirrors and glass ornaments and never place them on window sills or in direct sunlight.

“Lithium batteries can be very dangerous and so the manufacturers guidance should be followed at all times when using them.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter