A feast of fun planned for Stretham’s annual extravanganza
- Credit: Archant
A PACKED weekend of fun and festivities is planned for this year’s Stretham Feast.
Taking place from Friday to Sunday, May 17-19, the feast celebrations will see a whole host of entertainment and activity from a Stretham’s Got Talent competition, right through to a parade.
The weekend will begin with a barbecue, picnic and talent contest on the village recreation ground on Friday and end with a grand prize draw and farmer’s market on Sunday.
In between, there will be a concert, parade, competitions, dog show, fun fair, arts and crafts, Ceilidh, church service and much more.
The feast was started in 1877 in order to raise funds for Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, which, before the advent of the NHS, was dependant on voluntary contributions.
You may also want to watch:
The money raised at this year’s feats will go to Hazel Court - the village’s sheltered housing scheme for the elderly.
Stretham parish councillor Janet Parish, chair of the feast committee said “Every year we encourage those who have moved away from the village or have family here to come back for the feast, they do and it’s great to see them.
- 1 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 9 Residents reminisce as they dance, drink and get tattoos
- 10 Watch as police smash their way into suspected drug dealer’s flat
“To put on the feast is a real team effort with representatives from many village organisations and members of the community all mucking in, that’s why the Feast is such a great success every year.”
The feast committee is a subcommittee of Stretham Parish Council, for more information visit the parish council’s website: strethampc.org.uk or The Stretham Feast Facebook page.