A charity fund set up in memory of an Ely woman celebrates fifth anniversary and tops original target by £26,000
- Credit: Archant
A charity set up in memory of Ely woman Lisa Barnes is celebrating its fifth anniversary and passing its original £100,000 target.
The fund was set up by Robert Barnes to raise money for the Arthur Rank Hospice in Cambridge, where Lisa spent the last eight days of her life in 2010.
The original aim was to raise £100,000 for the hospice but Robert has decided to carry on. Robert said: “It seemed somehow wrong to stop what has become a well oiled machine, especially as we are now building a new state of the art Hospice on the edge of Cambridge at Shelford Bottom.
“We have in place a huge army of volunteers, all so willing to give up some of their time to help make a difference by fundraising for such a worthy cause.”
He added: “Although we are not always seeking publicity the work goes on day after day, we attend around 20 events each year and are able to show the public just how well the new building is shaping up with our pop up display and walk through tour of the new hospice, which will open its doors next November all being well.”
You may also want to watch:
There are several events before Christmas starting with the Ely Christmas lights switch on on November 27.
Then on November 28 there is a Christmas stall on Cambridge Market, December 2 sees fundraising at Addenbrooke’s outpatients department, December 9 there’s a collection covering the whole of the city of Cambridge.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
December 17 the pop up display will be at the Twenty Pence Garden Centre at Wilburton, December 19 there is a collection at the new Tesco store at Newmarket, and finally December 21 there will be fundraising a closer to home at Tesco in Ely store.
Robert said: “I would like to say a big thank you to all the fundraising team who have continued to support me in so many ways and lets look forward to lots more events for such a worthy cause. Lisa’s Fund has now raised £126,000.”