A chance to join famous Ely Cathedral choir a year early
- Credit: Archant
Ely Cathedral is on the lookout for younger applicants to join the ranks of its boys’ choir this September.
The new recruits will be known as ‘colt choristers’ and will be welcomed into the choir a year younger than usual, as Year 3 students rather than Year 4.
The cathedral has decided to go ahead with this change in recruitment to “provide an opportunity for youngsters to develop their musicality and their singing from a very early age”.
Unlike the 22 boy choristers, who currently board in a house in the cathedral precinct, the colts will be free at weekends and will not be required to board.
After the successful completion of a year spent as a colt in the choir, the boys will become boarding probationers in Year 4 and, ultimately, full choristers.
You may also want to watch:
A maximum of two choral bursaries per year, to the value of 20 per cent of school fees will be awarded jointly by Ely Cathedral and King’s Ely, to boys entering the choir in Year 3.
This amount will increase to 50 per cent of all payable fees in Years 4 to 8. Boys who remain at King’s Ely from Year 9 onwards continue to receive a generous bursary determined by the school.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Paul Trepte, director of music at Ely Cathedral, is responsible for the welfare and musical training of the choristers. He said: “In boys so young, we will be looking for a bright personality and musical potential rather than achievement – so parents need have nothing to fear or lose by investigating this opportunity for a relaxed, informal audition and a chat with the appropriate school and cathedral staff.”
Ely Cathedral’s boys’ choir has toured widely in recent years in Europe, Canada and the USA it is hoped that their next international tour will be to China - including Hong Kong.
For more information about the new colt chorister initiative e-mail: