5,000 calorie mammoth burger awaits entrants to Ely’s very own Man vs Food-style challenge
- Credit: Archant
Competitors will have to devour a monstrous burger weighing more than five pounds and standing more than 10 inches tall as part of a unique eating challenge coming to Ely.
Bar 62, in Newnham Street, is celebrating the start of England’s World Cup bid on Saturday by hosting an eating challenge in the style of popular TV series, Man vs Food.
In order to win, contestants will need to see off the ‘mammoth burger’- which is made up of two beef patties, bacon, three sausages, hash browns, cheese, lettuce and tomato.
To claim their prize, eaters will then need to devour two sides of chips and some barbecue beans, taking their calorie count up to almost 5,000.
Bar 62 chef Ken Condon said the burger alone weighed in at 5lb 4oz and measured in at more than 10 inches.
Owner Fiona Talbot said she has had to carry out a risk assessment ahead of the competition and has even booked a trained first aider to be on site on competition day to make sure the event runs smoothly.
Competition rules will be strictly enforced, however, and anyone who goes to the toilet during the event will have to be escorted to be sure no advantage is gained.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
She added: “Contestants will have an hour to complete the challenge and there will be a prize for the person who finishes first. Everyone who finishes after that will receive a medal.”
Entry to the competition, which starts at 2pm, is £15. You can sign up to take part by dropping into the bar, visiting the Facebook page or by calling 01353 661003.