For £310,000 you can buy the Old Mill, now converted to a four bedroom house, that is one of the few wind powered pumping engines in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
A converted mill overlooking the Fens and adjacent to the River Lark has come on the market with a price tag of £310,000.
The property at West Row Fen is accessed via an unadopted road and grass track. Cheffins, who are handling the sale, says it is known locally as ‘The Pepperpot’.
The Old Mill is one of the few remaining original wind powered pumping engines in the Fens.
From the 1600s, these windmills were built to help with drainage of the Fens but were largely replaced by steam engines during the 1800s. This one was converted into a house around 10 years ago and sits completely on its own on the banks of the River Lark.
The Old Mill now has four bedrooms, three of which are in the original octagonal mill. A large extension has been added which has a kitchen with an aga, a sun room and two more bedrooms but needs some updating. One of the best features is the entrance hall which is within the mill and has stone floors and exposed beams.
The house is completely remote, with a grass track leading to it from a tiny village lane. It has half an acre of land on the banks of the River Lark. The Lark is a tributary of the Ouse and is thought to have been used for navigation since Roman times. Locks and staunches were built on it in around 1638 and in the early 18th century. It is now popular with boaters and fishermen as it offers coarse fishing for eels, pike, roach and chubb and also fly fishing for wild trout.
West Row Fen is a remote area, three miles from Prickwillow village and nine miles from Ely.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
It is only available to cash buyers.
On the market through Cheffins, t: 01353 654900