For £310,000 you can buy the Old Mill, now converted to a four bedroom house, that is one of the few wind powered pumping engines in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
A converted mill overlooking the Fens and adjacent to the River Lark has come on the market with a price tag of £310,000.
The property at West Row Fen is accessed via an unadopted road and grass track. Cheffins, who are handling the sale, says it is known locally as ‘The Pepperpot’.
The Old Mill is one of the few remaining original wind powered pumping engines in the Fens.
From the 1600s, these windmills were built to help with drainage of the Fens but were largely replaced by steam engines during the 1800s. This one was converted into a house around 10 years ago and sits completely on its own on the banks of the River Lark.
The Old Mill now has four bedrooms, three of which are in the original octagonal mill. A large extension has been added which has a kitchen with an aga, a sun room and two more bedrooms but needs some updating. One of the best features is the entrance hall which is within the mill and has stone floors and exposed beams.
You may also want to watch:
The house is completely remote, with a grass track leading to it from a tiny village lane. It has half an acre of land on the banks of the River Lark. The Lark is a tributary of the Ouse and is thought to have been used for navigation since Roman times. Locks and staunches were built on it in around 1638 and in the early 18th century. It is now popular with boaters and fishermen as it offers coarse fishing for eels, pike, roach and chubb and also fly fishing for wild trout.
West Row Fen is a remote area, three miles from Prickwillow village and nine miles from Ely.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Car crashes into wall outside village Co-op
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
It is only available to cash buyers.
On the market through Cheffins, t: 01353 654900