A history walk through Fordham with local historian John Pryke
We commence our walk at St Peter and St Mary Magdalene Church.
The only Grade 1 listed building in the village was built between the 12th and 15th centuries.
It is a beautiful building with an abundance of history.
One of Oliver Cromwell’s relatives was laid to rest in the chancel and a carving in the Lady Chapel acknowledges King James I’s visit to the village on the 27th February 1605.
The ‘Withers Collection’ represents the life and times of Fordham’s Victorian poet and the thirteen late 19th century stained glass windows are a glorious representation of the scriptures.
One piece of medieval glass still remains.
Inscribed archway over the nurses bungalow entrance (Image: Supplied)
Most were destroyed during the Civil War.
Walking down the hill in Church Street, we pass the old vicarage, built in 1865 by the Reverend John Bell who served the parish for 30 years.
On the opposite side of the road are the alms houses.
They were relocated in 1855 after a great flood almost swept them away in their original location.
Originally six, only two remain to this day.
Moving along we come to Washington House, so named after Colonel Sir John Washington who resided there in the 17th century.
He was the great-great-uncle of George Washington, the first President of the USA.
This branch of the Washingtons was related to the Spencers of Althorp, the late Princess Diana’s family.
Almost opposite is Fordham Royal British Legion.
Founded in 1929, the organisation replaced The Kings Head pub which was demolished a few years earlier.
A nurse came to the village in 1910.
The Whitworth family, who owned a general store nearby, donated a bungalow for the nurse to reside in.
It was later dedicated to family member Leslie Whitworth, a 20-year-old doctor, who tragically died in a flu epidemic.
The Whitworths’ residence, ‘Homelands’, was built around 1580 and was the first house in the village to have electricity installed.
Following the cessation of hostilities in WW1, the great British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens stayed with the Whitworths while designing Fordham’s war memorial.
Lutyens’ credits include the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London, the Viceroy’s House in India and numerous stately homes.
During his stay he also created an elaborate fish pond for the family.
The old vicarage, Washington House and ‘Homelands’ are all listed buildings.
Share