Local historian John Pryke shares his latest column
We commence the walk at the north end of Mill Lane, formerly known as Dam Street.
To the right is Island House where a 14th-century water mill was constructed.
The mill was still in working order during WW2.
The first of six listed buildings in the lane is just a short stroll away.
The Church of Christ of the Independent Denomination became known as Fordham Congregational Church.
It was founded in 1818 by Philip Smith.
In 1844, he opened a Sabbath school which also educated around 120 children on weekdays.
Alas, when Smith died in 1855, no record can be found of the school, although the Sunday school continued through to the late 20th century.
A manse for the pastor was built in 1851.
During WW1 it was used as a Red Cross convalescent home for sick and wounded soldiers.
After two years the service was transferred to the Victoria Hall.
Over 1,000 patients were cared for during the conflict.
Two listed flint cottages now come into view.
The Village Institute and Reading Rooms were based there during the late 19th century.
They would also become involved in the birth of the village hall.
Next door is Felton Manor, the home of Sir Thomas de Felton during the 14th century.
Sir Thomas was a military knight, landowner and envoy.
He fought in many conflicts, including the Spanish campaign of 1367, alongside Edward, the Black Prince.
Trinity Hall, Cambridge held the manorial rights at one time.
As we reach the midway point, the memories of a thriving business area in days gone by come flooding back.
Palmers Bakers, Palmers Bus Company and newsagents, Browns Oil Company, Lambourne Haulage and the largest building company in Fordham, H.Boon & Company.
They employed over 140 workers during the middle of the 20th century.
The wartime fire station, now a private dwelling, is opposite Brook House, the final listed building in the lane.
This was once the home of Alan Bloom MBE, of Bressingham Gardens fame.
He was a horticulturist, author and steam engine enthusiast.
Bloom was credited with discovering almost 200 varieties of hardy perennial plants.
He also grew Millett in Fordham and was related to the Bloom family that ran a store in the village from the late 19th century until 1955.
Share