Local historian John Pryke writes on the Fordham Fire Brigade this month.
The Fordham Fire Brigade was formed in 1889. A site to house a fire engine was built on on The Pound. The funds for the building, engine and equipment were raised by voluntary subscription.
The first captain was John William Townsend, younger brother of nursery owner, Charles Townsend.
The brigade, and indeed the entire village, were stunned when Charles Townsend passed away in 1894 after a short illness, aged just 43 years old.
Ironically, a major fire broke out at the nursery in 1917. Nine tons of wheat straw and several thousand bamboo canes caught fire. It caused £200-worth of damage, which equates to several thousand pounds today.
Joe Bishop, was installed as captain in the 1920s. As WW2 approached a controversial issue arose that threatened the existence of the brigade.
The district council attempted to take possession of all equipment due to the Fire Brigade Act of 1938. Captain Bishop responded and stated that the equipment and engine belonged to the people of Fordham.
Joe Bishop's letter began a chain of events that would continue for 15 years. Both sides engaged solicitors and even the Charity Commission and Attorney General’s Office somehow became involved. The brigade continued during WW2.
A much larger engine was acquired during the conflict and the HQ was transferred to a barn in Mill Lane.
The brigade in the 1940s. (Image: John Pryke)
The brigade attended the Soham railway disaster in 1944, when a munitions truck exploded. An oil refinery at Shell Haven was attacked by the Luftwaffe and the Fordham Fire Brigade spent several days at the location.
A local convent had opened its doors to the community during this period and the firemen stayed there for one night. They were each given a small medal when they left as a sign of ‘Goodwill and God's speed’.
After the war the dispute continued. It was finally settled in January 1953 after more than 100 letters and documents had been exchanged. The brigade was allowed to continue and the old engine and equipment was sold for £14, 15 shillings and 6d. The old fire brigade building was sold to a local builder for £75.
As the years passed by, the brigade came under increased pressure. More modern equipment was required and centralised fire-fighting was the order of the day. Eventually after eight decades of service, the brigade was disbanded.
Share