The Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has some advice for you as you try to keep warm and cut energy bills this winter from accidental fires to carbon monoxide poisoning.

As the cost-of-living crisis continues, the service wants to highlight the potential risks of finding alternative ways to heat and light your home which could be unsafe.

Head of Community Fire Safety, Group Commander Rob Olivier, said "It’s really important that, as we all try to cope with the rise in the cost of living, we don’t put ourselves or our loved ones at risk.

“We all need to stay warm and well as the weather gets colder, but we don’t want that to be at the expense of our safety.

He continues to say that Cambridgeshire residents should have a fire alarm for each level of the house in good working order with regular tests.

While also advising residents to purchase carbon monoxide alarms to keep with their non-electric heating appliances.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas created by fires and gas burning appliances that can kill and poison people exposed to it.

Many people will also be using chimneys and open fires for heat this Christmas.

Olivier added: “As the cost of living continues to bite, there is the temptation to save money and skip the chimney sweeping, however the debris build-up in the flue can be set alight when heating the home, which could cause a significant fire and be even more costly."

The Service attends around 100 fires a year involving chimneys, most of which could be avoided by following some simple safety tips such as appointing a skilled chimney engineer to service your chimney, using a fireguard to stop stray sparks from flying out into the room and using only properly treated wood to build a fire 

The service is also encouraging people to complete an online home fire check for themselves and their loved ones which provides specific fire safety advice and tips on keeping your home safe.

For those most at risk of fire, members of the service can visit a home to provide help and advice.

For more advice and information, visit: