New car park opens in Ely close to the rail station
- Credit: Archant
Commuters will benefit from a new 128-space car park near Ely train station which was opened to residents today.
The new car park, called ‘The Dock’, is next to the old Strikes Bowling Alley in the city.
Councillor Bill Hunt, chairman of the East Cambs District Council asset development committee, said: “This addition will very positively impact on the lives of commuters, not only because they will have a better chance of getting a space, but also because this car park will be significantly cheaper than the station car park.
“We are thrilled to be able to open this car park and look forward to seeing residents making the most of it.”
The new car park includes a raised pedestrian footpath with street lighting, linking the original Angel Drove car park to The Dock, making for a shorter and safer walk to the station.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hunt was helped by the Mayor, Councillor Richard Hobbs and Councillor Lis Every to cut the ribbon and officially open the new facility.
They presented the first customer, Sepi Modgham from Chelmer Way, Ely, with a bottle of champagne to mark the occasion.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The development was given unanimous approval by the East Cambridgeshire planning committee earlier this year.