1094 City of Ely Squadron Air Cadets celebrate their achievements at annual awards evening
- Credit: Archant
The 1094 City of Ely air cadets had a surprise last night (January 18) at an annual awards evening.
A special honour was bestowed upon the whole squadron by David Martin, chairman of Ely’s Royal British Legion, who signed papers of affiliation linking the squadron and the legion.
Mr Martin was a former Ely air cadet before a career in the RAF.
Neil Grimson, chairman of the civilian committee explained the role of the committee in supporting the squadron and raising funds to support the commanding officer and his work. The committee is keen to welcome new volunteers.
Councillor Richard Hobbs, mayor of Ely was guest of honour and presented the City of Ely Cup, awarded for outstanding cadets of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hobbs, a former Ely cadet himself, said: “How smart you look, you are a credit to Ely, the uniform and your parents.
“Thank you for representing Ely so wonderfully well.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Cllr Hobbs and commanding officer Fl Lt Nick Wilson presented the awards:
• Laverham Green Trophy for high achievement: Sergeant Joe Harris.
The award requires a high degree of commitment to squadron activities coupled with success at formal subjects as well as such awards as, D of E, first aid etc.
• Fred Pizey Citizenship Plate: Sergeant Emily Pieters and Corporal Luca Chadwick.
The cadet who has demonstrated a clear commitment to helping others during the year can take the form of charity collecting through to the voluntary service element of D of E.
• City of Ely - Best Cadet (male and female):- Flight Sergeant Rebecca Sutton and Sergeant Rory Donoghue.
Most outstanding cadet for year. Smartness and attendances are critical but also how well they have developed in terms of enthusiasm and team working also count.
• Best NCO: Sergeant Rory Donoghue.
Most Outstanding NCO for the year. Critical are smartness and attendance, work ethic and how well they have developed in terms of mentoring other cadets, enthusiasm and team leadership.
• Shepherds Friendly Society (aircraft modelling): Leading Cadet Liam West
• Best Recruit Cadets: Jesse Bennet and Daniel Leah.
• Most outstanding recruit of the year in terms of enthusiasm, smartness and approach to task: John Grant Plate: Cadet Thomas Hales.
This latter award is aimed at a cadet who has shown endeavour and enthusiasm in the face of adversity.