Writers jumped to the wrong conclusion
PERHAPS Paula and Elvin Whittlsea in their obvious contempt of myself, Mr Piper and Mrs Wilbraham (Letters, July 20) should have refreshed their memories and re-read my letter of July 13 before jumping to the wrong conclusions. At no time did I suggest th
PERHAPS Paula and Elvin Whittlsea in their obvious contempt of myself, Mr Piper and Mrs Wilbraham (Letters, July 20) should have refreshed their memories and re-read my letter of July 13 before jumping to the wrong conclusions.
At no time did I suggest that should the sluice sculpture be abandoned so that the £5,000 could be used to save the toilets at Sacrist's Gate. What I did say was that I hoped the cathedral might pay for it. I was speaking from a general point of view that on the one hand something needed was being shelved for the sake of £5,000 and on the other hand, something that was not needed was going to cost £40,000. I linked the two points together in my letter instead of writing two separate ones which would not both have been printed at the same time.
As an artist myself of pictures in oils I know all about the Arts Council. I would also like to know why they intend placing a screen showing scenes of flowing water in Jubilee Gardens, when a few feet away,
people can see the real thing as Mr Piper so rightly said in his letter. I still say it is a shameful waste of £40,000.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 Museum to mark first anniversary in ‘new Old Gaol’ this weekend