Would Have Been Nice To See Councillors at Masterplan Event
ON Saturday I attended one of the consultation sessions at the Lamb Hotel on the proposed Ely Masterplan. Although it was well laid out and the officers friendly and welcoming, I was disappointed that no councillors were present to answer questions. For m
ON Saturday I attended one of the consultation sessions at the Lamb Hotel on the proposed Ely Masterplan. Although it was well laid out and the officers friendly and welcoming, I was disappointed that no councillors were present to answer questions.
For me, the thing that was missing from the plan was any mention of how art and culture facilities would be developed over the next few years.
Councillors must understand that people expect more from life than sport and shopping (which was all that was mentioned under leisure) in a city like Ely, particularly as the population increases.
I would believe in the Masterplan and its ambitious vision more, if I could see evidence of the present council looking after the visual arts now (making sure we retain the Babylon Gallery, for instance), before I can get excited about the future.
You may also want to watch:
At the consultation session we were given a rather handsome book (how much did that cost, I wonder?) to further aid us in our understanding. On the cover was a photo of Jubilee Gardens with young children playing in this well-loved space. It seems ironic, and I may be wrong, but wasn't it a former Tory council who tried to put housing on this site?
If this Masterplan is going to mean anything, councillors will need to work hard to prove to us that this isn't just another expensive box ticking exercise.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats