Work begins on £2.8million boathouse at Ely for the University of Cambridge - expected completion is next October
- Credit: Archant
Work has started on a £2.8 million boathouse for the University of Cambridge in Ely.
Over 100 alumni, alumnae and rowers from the university marked the start of work on the scheme with a traditional turf cutting ceremony held jointly by Morgan Sindall and the three university rowing clubs.
The fundraising to enable construction on the scheme to begin has been underway for the last eight years and is a combined venture between Cambridge University Boat Club (CUBC), Cambridge University Women’s Boat Club (CUWBC) and Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club (CULRC).
The development has received fundraising support from hundreds of Cambridge alumni/alumnae and from the University.
Ewan Pearson, a Cambridge Blue and chairman of the project for the three boat clubs, said: “We have now reached the final stage in the development of new and world-class facilities for the scholar-athletes from the three clubs that row for the university against Oxford in the annual Boat Races; these facilities will greatly help us to boost our competitiveness”
You may also want to watch:
Work is already underway on the 48-week development which will provide the university with a four-bay, two-storey boathouse to house up to 50 rowing boats. The building will be completed in October 2016 and will include a kitchen area, crew and coaches rooms, and two large changing rooms with shower facilities.
The boathouse will feature brickwork cladding and a distinctive zinc covered roof.
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini