Wicken Fen will benefit people are East Cambs
I CANNOT let Geoffrey Woollard s letter go unanswered. My wife and I are both keen bird watchers who happen to be members of the National Trust. We think that the plans to extend Wicken Fen Nature Reserve are excellent and will benefit the people of East
I CANNOT let Geoffrey Woollard's letter go unanswered.
My wife and I are both keen bird watchers who happen to be members of the National Trust.
We think that the plans to extend Wicken Fen Nature Reserve are excellent and will benefit the people of East Cambs and beyond.
It will provide additional habitat for declining bird species such as bitterns, marsh harriers, barn owls, lapwings, hen harriers and snipe.
You may also want to watch:
The area will also benefit cyclists, dog walkers and other people with an interest in natural history. It will certainly increase eco tourism to the area which will benefit the local economy.
The bird artist Eric Ennion lived in Burwell between the wars and wrote about Burwell Fen being a fabulous wilderness for wildfowl and wading birds. Unfortunately the area was drained at the onset of the Second World War to provide food for the war effort - so the National Trust is merely returning it to its former use.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 6 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
We know many people who feel the same way as we do and regret that Mr Woollard's minority viewpoint is attracting such prominent coverage.
PAUL AND SUE MURFITT