Wicken Fen will benefit people are East Cambs
I CANNOT let Geoffrey Woollard s letter go unanswered. My wife and I are both keen bird watchers who happen to be members of the National Trust. We think that the plans to extend Wicken Fen Nature Reserve are excellent and will benefit the people of East
I CANNOT let Geoffrey Woollard's letter go unanswered.
My wife and I are both keen bird watchers who happen to be members of the National Trust.
We think that the plans to extend Wicken Fen Nature Reserve are excellent and will benefit the people of East Cambs and beyond.
It will provide additional habitat for declining bird species such as bitterns, marsh harriers, barn owls, lapwings, hen harriers and snipe.
You may also want to watch:
The area will also benefit cyclists, dog walkers and other people with an interest in natural history. It will certainly increase eco tourism to the area which will benefit the local economy.
The bird artist Eric Ennion lived in Burwell between the wars and wrote about Burwell Fen being a fabulous wilderness for wildfowl and wading birds. Unfortunately the area was drained at the onset of the Second World War to provide food for the war effort - so the National Trust is merely returning it to its former use.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
We know many people who feel the same way as we do and regret that Mr Woollard's minority viewpoint is attracting such prominent coverage.
PAUL AND SUE MURFITT