Wicken Fen Vision Is A Sign Of The Times
IT has been brought to my attention that three signs on the National Trust s new bridge and cycleway, which runs across the Swaffham-Lode river, have been defaced, and have had the slogan Save Our Fen: No to the National Trust painted on them. Whilst I
IT has been brought to my attention that three signs on the National Trust's new bridge and cycleway, which runs across the Swaffham-Lode river, have been defaced, and have had the slogan "Save Our Fen: No to the National Trust" painted on them.
Whilst I neither condone nor approve the use of vandalism or graffiti, I have every sympathy with those responsible. The large bright yellow signs themselves, which bear the name of an engineering company, completely ruin the beautiful surrounding fen, and underline the arrogance and hypocrisy of the National Trust.
That residents of a quiet rural area feel the need to resort to these measures shows the growing sense of frustration and anger at the "vision" that The National Trust is trying to impose. Its time the Wicken Vision was unmasked for what it really is; the conversion of 15,000 acres of excellent agricultural land and valuable natural habitat into a National Trust nature theme park. Despite the trust's rhetoric, this is not what residents of the fen want, or it seems, are willing to let happen. I hope this incident brings the debate back into the public arena, the National Trust has some serious questions to answer.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos