Why No Wheelie Bins For Recycling?
I CANNOT understand why the change to wheelie bins wasn t made when the contracts were last renewed. It s absurd that the current system now makes the council one of the worst performers when it comes to recycling targets. The present system is archaic an
I CANNOT understand why the change to wheelie bins wasn't made when the contracts were last renewed. It's absurd that the current system now makes the council one of the worst performers when it comes to recycling targets.
The present system is archaic and messy, and contributes to litter in the town. Black bags are often split open, by birds and cats, while left out overnight, but the resulting mess isn't cleared up by the refuse collectors. Papers which blow out of the black crates aren't picked up either, and carrier bags often drift around after the recycling collection lorry has gone. The delivery of new black bags is often a problem in windy weather too - most hedges have a few bags caught in them!
The recycling system is confusing, and while households need to put glass and metal out in plastic bags, any campaign to reduce the plastic carrier bags we take from supermarkets is doomed to fail. I often find myself deliberately taking carrier bags just for use in the recycling scheme.
Wheelie bins for recycling could be printed with what is to go in them, to avoid some of the confusion, or better yet, we could have a system where all recycling, apart from organic waste, is put into one bin and sorted at the recycling depot. This would also enable more plastic recycling
You may also want to watch:
The food part of organic waste is a large component in many households, yet wrapping it in newspaper and putting it into a brown paper sack is not satisfactory - over two weeks smells will develop and as the paper sacks need to be kept indoors this can become unpleasant. If outdoor bins were used they would encourage more organic recycling, as the closed lids would keep in the worst of the smell of decay.
It really is time to bring this system into line with modern practices of waste collection and recycling.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
Bishop Laney Drive