Why lorries are space invaders
IT S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen. It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky. Occasionally, you will see a po
IT'S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen.
It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky.
Occasionally, you will see a point of light shoot straight across the heavens; another satellite on its way around the earth.
It must be one of these satellites that is interfering with the locals.
If you were bringing a load of produce from Spain or Poland or wherever to one of the giant packing sheds to the north of town, there is a fair chance that you wouldn't know exactly where Barway or the Hasse were, so you would obviously switch on your satellite navigation device.
These gismos appear to know where to guide the loads, but don't always seem to know the best route.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 4 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
Hence we seem to be getting more and more continental artics creeping through town and stopping at every junction to check instructions.
One giant disappeared down Fountain Lane the other day - I bet he had fun on Mereside!
The next time you are standing in your garden and a satellite flies overhead try shouting "Use the bypass."
It might just work.