Why lorries are space invaders
IT S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen. It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky. Occasionally, you will see a po
IT'S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen.
It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky.
Occasionally, you will see a point of light shoot straight across the heavens; another satellite on its way around the earth.
It must be one of these satellites that is interfering with the locals.
You may also want to watch:
If you were bringing a load of produce from Spain or Poland or wherever to one of the giant packing sheds to the north of town, there is a fair chance that you wouldn't know exactly where Barway or the Hasse were, so you would obviously switch on your satellite navigation device.
These gismos appear to know where to guide the loads, but don't always seem to know the best route.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 6 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Photos of the Week: Views along the river and sun-kissed skylines
Hence we seem to be getting more and more continental artics creeping through town and stopping at every junction to check instructions.
One giant disappeared down Fountain Lane the other day - I bet he had fun on Mereside!
The next time you are standing in your garden and a satellite flies overhead try shouting "Use the bypass."
It might just work.