Why lorries are space invaders
IT S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen. It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky. Occasionally, you will see a po
IT'S not often that the people of Soham are interfered with from outer space, but it does happen.
It has been very pleasant these past few weeks to stand out in the garden and enjoy the stars glittering down from the sky.
Occasionally, you will see a point of light shoot straight across the heavens; another satellite on its way around the earth.
It must be one of these satellites that is interfering with the locals.
If you were bringing a load of produce from Spain or Poland or wherever to one of the giant packing sheds to the north of town, there is a fair chance that you wouldn't know exactly where Barway or the Hasse were, so you would obviously switch on your satellite navigation device.
These gismos appear to know where to guide the loads, but don't always seem to know the best route.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 9 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
Hence we seem to be getting more and more continental artics creeping through town and stopping at every junction to check instructions.
One giant disappeared down Fountain Lane the other day - I bet he had fun on Mereside!
The next time you are standing in your garden and a satellite flies overhead try shouting "Use the bypass."
It might just work.