THE recent edition of East Cambridgeshire, published by East Cambs District Council, contains an article on waste headed Weekly Collections: we listened to you . This seeks to justify the decision by the Conservative-controlled council to ignore the tria
THE recent edition of East Cambridgeshire, published by East Cambs District Council, contains an article on waste headed 'Weekly Collections: we listened to you'. This seeks to justify the decision by the Conservative-controlled council to ignore the trials in Bottisham and Witchford, where black and brown bags were collected on alternate weeks. This had led to spectacular improvements in their rates of recycling. The decision to ignore these results places the council in grave danger of being heavily fined by the Government for putting too much waste into landfill as recycling targets are constantly being raised. Such fines will have to be paid from our Council Tax.
Is it significant that, at the recent election, all the councillors elected from Bottisham and Witchford were Liberal Democrats? Who listened to whom?
Liberal Democrat district councillor
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Rainbow house brightens up lockdown
- 5 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 6 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 7 Open-air museum due to reopen as lockdown eases
- 8 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely