Where are the people that care about Ely? Too many people are so accepting of its degradation
Tourists, do come and spend time in the unspoilt city of Ely, that unique gem on the edge of the river with its magnificent cathedral and ancient buildings.
But you need to be quick. Strident voices often from newly arrived people, who came here because of what Ely is, are now keen to destroy the quiet beauty of the city.
They are happy to live with the mistakes of the past, the ghastly 60s flat-roofed buildings in the market square, the police and ambulance station which were unbelievably ugly even before the addition of the plastic carbuncle.
They are now baying for cinemas, shops and thousands of houses.
Where are the people that care about Ely? Why are they mute?
You may also want to watch:
Too many are so accepting of this degradation – I despair.
- 1 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Rainbow house brightens up lockdown
- 5 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 6 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 7 Open-air museum due to reopen as lockdown eases
- 8 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
St John’s Road