Where are the people that care about Ely? Too many people are so accepting of its degradation
Tourists, do come and spend time in the unspoilt city of Ely, that unique gem on the edge of the river with its magnificent cathedral and ancient buildings.
But you need to be quick. Strident voices often from newly arrived people, who came here because of what Ely is, are now keen to destroy the quiet beauty of the city.
They are happy to live with the mistakes of the past, the ghastly 60s flat-roofed buildings in the market square, the police and ambulance station which were unbelievably ugly even before the addition of the plastic carbuncle.
They are now baying for cinemas, shops and thousands of houses.
Where are the people that care about Ely? Why are they mute?
You may also want to watch:
Too many are so accepting of this degradation – I despair.
- 1 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 2 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
St John’s Road