Where are the people that care about Ely? Too many people are so accepting of its degradation
Tourists, do come and spend time in the unspoilt city of Ely, that unique gem on the edge of the river with its magnificent cathedral and ancient buildings.
But you need to be quick. Strident voices often from newly arrived people, who came here because of what Ely is, are now keen to destroy the quiet beauty of the city.
They are happy to live with the mistakes of the past, the ghastly 60s flat-roofed buildings in the market square, the police and ambulance station which were unbelievably ugly even before the addition of the plastic carbuncle.
They are now baying for cinemas, shops and thousands of houses.
Where are the people that care about Ely? Why are they mute?
Too many are so accepting of this degradation – I despair.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
St John’s Road