What Happens if Maserplan Rumours Are True?
I WAS extremely relieved to read the content of Cllr Pett s letter in last week s edition of your newspaper. As a resident of Ely, it is reassuring to know that according to her interpretation of recent events any legislation appertaining to Standards i
I WAS extremely relieved to read the content of Cllr Pett's letter in last week's edition of your newspaper. As a resident of Ely, it is reassuring to know that according to her interpretation of recent events any legislation appertaining to Standards in Public Life do not apply to her colleague the ex-leader of East Cambs District Council, Brian Ashton.
While the council's head of legal services describes Cllr Ashton's actions as "potentially unlawful" her interpretation is that it is merely "nit picking bureaucracy and mind numbing protocol".
The "foolish" e-mail between Cllr Ashton and Dr Falk was - according to Cllr Petts - merely malicious rumour. Perhaps the fact that opposition members of the other council groups had been excluded from the secret meetings is just another rumour. It could just be true, however, that the newspapers were the first to know about the Tory "Disasterplan" before the other groups or the city councillors were made aware of it - but then again it might be just another rumour. What is patently evident from Cllr Pett's letter is that while her blinding loyalty to Cllr Ashton is undimmed, could it just possibly be clouding her judgement of the facts? And with all these rumours flying around, just think what could happen if any of them turned out to be true.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely