What happened to working for public?
COUNCILLOR Ashton stated that the Environment and Transport Committee is Liberal Democrat controlled. Councillor Ashton usually prides himself on his proficiency with figures; it was he who tried unsuccessfully to persuade council that a huge increase in
COUNCILLOR Ashton stated that the Environment and Transport Committee is Liberal Democrat controlled. Councillor Ashton usually prides himself on his proficiency with figures; it was he who tried unsuccessfully to persuade council that a huge increase in the cost of the proposed new council offices remained good value.
Here we go again, somehow four conservative members, one Independent and four Liberal Democrat add up to Liberal Democrat control. Even my rudimentary grasp of figures leads me to see a mathematical balance.
The Independent member has a voting record that is not coloured by politics. On the Broad Street car park extension proposals he spoke well against what he reasonably saw as short-sighted opportunism.
Immediately after the full council decision to proceed with further consultation on the car park, the Environment and Transport committee had to elect a new chairman. Not unreasonably I proposed Councillor Ashton.
You may also want to watch:
He declined the nomination and proposed me. While I am pleased that he has confidence in my abilities I am sure that he will understand that until the council comes to its senses over his car park proposals, then I will probably not want to be responsible for driving this policy U-turn forward.
We have all read Cllr Ashton extolling the virtues of charging in past issues. What has changed in our parking situation that requires this change of tack? What happened to consistency of argument and working for the public good?
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
CLLR IAN ALLEN