What can be done to stop our ever-rising crime rate
Right now Ely seems to be in the iron grip of an unstoppable crime wave, what with all the broken shop frontages and senseless graffiti scarring the face of our city – as well as the recent arson attack near Burrows Newsagents/tobacconist. And whilst I ha
Right now Ely seems to be in the iron grip of an unstoppable crime wave, what with all the broken shop frontages and senseless graffiti scarring the face of our city - as well as the recent arson attack near Burrows Newsagents/tobacconist.
And whilst I have some sympathy with the shopkeepers, is there any excuse for them to dawdle over repairs? The chip shop on St Mary's Street has been heavily boarded up for well over a week now and it looks a disgrace! Let us remember that St Mary's Street is the "welcome" our tourists get when they pour into Ely off the A10. It must surely make their hearts sink when they scurry past this disgrace on their way out.
The maintenance of shop fronts in Ely is a scandal and the standard here reached an all time low when publican Mr Borland iron fenced his hole in the ground on Market Street. This monstrosity gives the nod to other traders to drag their feet over repairs and upkeep.
And while we're about it, regarding Market Street, why do we pedestrians have to spend our weekend's tip-toeing around all the vomit, urine and discarded chips now that folk can avail themselves of takeaway meals until 3 in the morning!
You may also want to watch:
The other day I watched in shock as two dogs fought over a half eaten kebab. Their snarling hate-filled faces terrified an elderly lady on a mobility chair.
Why does the town hall turn a blind eye to these blights on our lives? Why are there more questions then answers?
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 3 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 4 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 5 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 6 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 7 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
- 8 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 9 Book tickets for brewery’s summer jazz party
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
No one believes for one minute that te planners are somehow 'in the pocket' of publicans and the takeaway trade but I'm sure a statement from the head of planning would reassure us all!