Well done, Ely – don’t give in to change
CAN we, through your pages, send a big pat on the back to the local shops in Ely. We moved from a village on the south side of Cambridge to Ely just over a year ago as we were fed up with the big city and wanted a more community-based life. One of the mo
CAN we, through your pages, send a big pat on the back to the local shops in Ely.
We moved from a village on the south side of Cambridge to Ely just over a year ago as we were fed up with the big city and wanted a more community-based life. One of the most pleasing things we have noticed is the way local shops are happy to help. As new residents we were lost for knowing where to buy things, what shops were actually in Ely etc. and it was wonderful to go into a shop and ask for something and, if they didn't stock it, to be told 'sorry we don't have it/don't stock it but try so-and-so shop'.
Having been used to being told in Cambridge 'don't have it' and being left feeling that we were annoying shop assistants in actually asking them for something and interrupting a conversation they were having with a colleague. Having spoken to other people in Ely they all say how helpful and courteous the local shops are in Ely.
Well done Ely shops - you offer more than the wares you are selling.
You may also want to watch:
Can we also congratulate the local shops on a wonderful display of Christmas lights again this year (again something that Cambridge cannot offer). We had a really enjoyable evening at the switching on of the lights in December and were amazed how the community pulls together on such occasions. Well done.
And while writing can we congratulate the people of Ely for the wonderful firework display in November. Again we can only compare with Cambridge and again Ely comes out on top. Well done.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 6 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 7 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 10 Our guide to The Library Presents' spring outdoor events series
Finally, we would like to add that, having lived in Ely for over a year now, how wonderful we think this city is, the people, the shops, the atmosphere - don't let it change and be taken over by the 'big boys'.
LIZ and ADRIAN SWANN