Well done, Ely – don’t give in to change
CAN we, through your pages, send a big pat on the back to the local shops in Ely. We moved from a village on the south side of Cambridge to Ely just over a year ago as we were fed up with the big city and wanted a more community-based life. One of the mo
CAN we, through your pages, send a big pat on the back to the local shops in Ely.
We moved from a village on the south side of Cambridge to Ely just over a year ago as we were fed up with the big city and wanted a more community-based life. One of the most pleasing things we have noticed is the way local shops are happy to help. As new residents we were lost for knowing where to buy things, what shops were actually in Ely etc. and it was wonderful to go into a shop and ask for something and, if they didn't stock it, to be told 'sorry we don't have it/don't stock it but try so-and-so shop'.
Having been used to being told in Cambridge 'don't have it' and being left feeling that we were annoying shop assistants in actually asking them for something and interrupting a conversation they were having with a colleague. Having spoken to other people in Ely they all say how helpful and courteous the local shops are in Ely.
Well done Ely shops - you offer more than the wares you are selling.
You may also want to watch:
Can we also congratulate the local shops on a wonderful display of Christmas lights again this year (again something that Cambridge cannot offer). We had a really enjoyable evening at the switching on of the lights in December and were amazed how the community pulls together on such occasions. Well done.
And while writing can we congratulate the people of Ely for the wonderful firework display in November. Again we can only compare with Cambridge and again Ely comes out on top. Well done.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
Finally, we would like to add that, having lived in Ely for over a year now, how wonderful we think this city is, the people, the shops, the atmosphere - don't let it change and be taken over by the 'big boys'.
LIZ and ADRIAN SWANN