We Think Wicken Fen Vision Is Pointless
THE National Trust is keen for us to grow our vegetables on allotments at Anglesey Abbey, Wimpole and elsewhere and, at the same time, it is still determined to buy up and flood or junglefy several thousand acres of fine vegetable-growing Cambridgeshir
THE National Trust is keen for us to grow our vegetables on allotments at Anglesey Abbey, Wimpole and elsewhere and, at the same time, it is still determined to buy up and flood or 'junglefy' several thousand acres of fine vegetable-growing Cambridgeshire Fen land. This is the best of Britain's most basic resources close by the ancient Fen-edge settlements of Wicken, Upware, Burwell, Swaffham Prior, Swaffham Bulbeck, Reach, Lode and Longmeadow, Bottisham, Stow cum Quy, Fen Ditton, Horningsea and Waterbeach.
I and my friends deplore the loss of this land, the threat to homes, livelihoods and businesses, and the grave danger to a place of worship (the well-known and greatly-loved Little Chapel in The Fen' We are concerned that additional car parks and extra traffic in and through the villages - as well as more flies and mosquitoes - will affect residents adversely.
Most of all, we are angered by the pointless and enormous estimated �100-million-plus expense of the so-called Wicken Vision (to include the �20-million so-called Bridge of Reeds over the A14) and believe, in this recession, that there are other and better objects and causes to support.
If your readers agree with me, I ask them to sign the new on-line SaveOurFens E-Petition to be found at: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveOurFens/
- 1 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 10 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested