We Need More Traffic Wardens And Police On The Streets Of Ely
IN answer to Lucy Goodfellow (Letters, December 10) I back you all the way. I am a disabled badge holder and I personally will not park on double yellow lines, even though I can, as I think that s on the edge of breaking the law. As regards traffic warden
IN answer to Lucy Goodfellow (Letters, December 10) I back you all the way. I am a disabled badge holder and I personally will not park on double yellow lines, even though I can, as I think that's on the edge of breaking the law. As regards traffic wardens, well, there are no traffic wardens! We used to have a full time warden in Ely and he kept law and order and also a police officers walking the beat but that was when Ely was run properly. Now you need a tin opener to get them out of their cars and storm troopers to get them out from behind the computers in the offices and on to the streets. Crime is on the streets not behind desks. I don't like criticises the police but they have brought it on themselves. When the Queen came the other week there were swarms of police everywhere. Well let the royals come and live in Ely I say then we might get enough police on the ground. It's no good patrolling Ely once a week for an hour you have to be there all the time as they say 24/7. After World War Two it happened. The country was broke but we had a police force that kept law and order. Now we have cameras everywhere in the city watching everyone that moves and you still cannot catch people parking illegally and pick-pockets and other crimes so what good are these cameras and on-the-spot fines for parking on pavements, double yellow lines?
The police also need to use some common sense and allow a van unloading for a minute or so or a tradesman doing a job for a shop and window cleaners to earn their living. When we had a full time warden and police on the ground they got to know everyone and it could happen again with just a little forethought and some good old fashion policing.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online