We must save the city’s unique Cathedral grounds
DURING the past few weeks, I have heard East Cambs District Council and the Isle of Ely Diocese are in the process of coming to an agreement about using an area of the ancient pasture in the centre of Ely for an extension to the car parking at Broad Stree
DURING the past few weeks, I have heard East Cambs District Council and the Isle of Ely Diocese are in the process of coming to an agreement about using an area of the ancient pasture in the centre of Ely for an extension to the car parking at Broad Street.
Perhaps your readers could advise me whether this is the same piece of land that was rescued by a large donation from Paul Getty when the cathedral authorities wanted to build houses on the meadow to fund urgently required repairs.
I recall attending a large meeting of interested people at The Maltings, which included some members of the current council, to help raise money for the cathedral so the land would not be encroached upon.
Doesn't it seem strange that the very people who should look after our historic city are the same people who want to quietly nibble away at the ancient meadow land. Ely Cathedral is unique in that it is still surrounded by meadow. If you visit Peterborough or Lincoln cathedrals, for example, they are surrounded by car parks and concrete. Do we want this for Ely?
The meadow land in Ely has been protected for centuries by the local population who are usually ably represented by the city and district councils. I understood the reason for introducing parking charges, the park-and-ride scheme, and the pedestrianisation of the centre of Ely was to protect the unique character of Ely together with its historic land and buildings. Why then do they want to cover this meadow with tarmac and park on it?
It is no good thinking that the people who like to work quietly in secret will not do this - according to your newspaper article, and thanks to Fred Brown's casting vote - they are already on to the next stage.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby