Wave A Flag
HANDS up anyone who knows what s special about Sunday. Apart from being National Independence Day and Children s Day in Turkey, of course. Correct, it s St George s Day. It s the day we celebrate the patron saint of England who never came to England and
HANDS up anyone who knows what's special about Sunday. Apart from being National Independence Day and Children's Day in Turkey, of course.
Correct, it's St George's Day.
It's the day we celebrate the patron saint of England who never came to England and who nobody is quite certain who he was or where he did come from. Not to worry, he's our saint and we might as well make the most of him.
If you need any help doing that you could do worse than call at the Fountain on Sunday evening. There will be a St George's Day quiz at 8.30pm in aid of the Royal British Legion.
If you don't know what to do until half past eight you can sample the themed dinner menu that is running all week, or try some of the English ales at the mini beer festival.
It's Shakespeare's birthday, too.
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 5 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral