Unfair to cut the arts cash
THE council, which claims to have the well-being of the citizens of Ely at its heart, and is said to be proud of the city s achievements as a centre for enterprise and creativity, has just voted to cut the grant of the very body which is the source of muc
THE council, which claims to have the well-being of the citizens of Ely at its heart, and is said to be proud of the city's achievements as a centre for enterprise and creativity, has just voted to cut the grant of the very body which is the source of much of this success - ADeC.
If cuts have to be made, why can they not be made in equal proportion from every grant the council gives out?
This seems to be the only way that would be fair. By taking all the £70,000 from ADeC the council is smashing the eggs of the goose that lays them - those golden opportunities that ADeC created by supporting young and old in ways that widen their horizons, helps them to take part in community activities, and in doing so, to learn something about themselves and that intangible part of every human, that of the spirit or soul that needs nurturing to grow - we all need this if we are to remain a civilised society.
HILARY VAN DE WATERING
You may also want to watch:
St Mary's Court
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs