Under-age drinkers let off too much steam
THE Haddenham Steam Rally has been and gone again and the residents of Station Road have endured the mindless stupidity of the under-age drinkers who swarm in droves from the late night festivities on to the field. As per usual, very few of us who reside
THE Haddenham Steam Rally has been and gone again and the residents of Station Road have endured the mindless stupidity of the under-age drinkers who swarm in droves from the late night festivities on to the field.
As per usual, very few of us who reside near the rally site had much sleep on the Saturday night/Sunday morning. The onslaught started just before midnight and carried on until the early hours of Sunday morning. We were subjected to hearing vile language from boys and, I might add, equal numbers of girls. Stones and cans were thrown onto the main road and residents' gardens.
One elderly resident had stones thrown at her bedroom window.
I witnessed a group of youths in my garden shouting and swearing and urinating. The Steam Rally sign was pulled up and thrown onto the main road, creating a hazard and most of the cats' eyes had been removed from the bottom of Station Road to the church, mindless disregard for other people's property.
I, for one, did not call the police this year as they have been called in previous years and do not have a car in the area, so by the time they get here the youths have disbanded.
So is it not time a police presence was requested to put a stop to these 'children' drinking and getting out of control - most of them seem to be able to get alcohol from the field area, probably from older friends - and to stop the damage they cause. Surely in the long term it would be cheaper than replacing the cats' eyes at taxpayers' expense.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
Name and address supplied