Twin signs of waste?
THIS sign (it has a twin at the other end of the bypass) cost £1500 according to Philip Crack of Cambridgeshire County Council. Readers might wish to consider if it was money well spent to tell us that a highway has something to do with The Department of
THIS sign (it has a twin at the other end of the bypass) cost £1500 according to Philip Crack of Cambridgeshire County Council. Readers might wish to consider if it was money well spent to tell us that a highway has something to do with The Department of Transport and that, being in Cambridgeshire, it was managed by Cambridgeshire County Council.
It wasn't easy to find out the cost. After asking him three times in over two months for the information, Councillor John Powley described me in an internal memo as "persistent".
I treat this as a compliment but, when it comes to unnecessary expenditure, wouldn't it be a good idea if the man responsible for the county council's overspending was as persistent in identifying wastage of money?
And the bypass may be open but it still isn't finished - the crossing near Downham windmill, designed together with the bridge over the roundabout and the street lighting in Carter Street North to aid the passage of school-children cycling to school from Fordham (do Cambridgeshire know there's a well patronised school bus?).
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 4 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 10 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way