Tries rejected the gallery
SO nw we knw the truth. The Try district cuncillrs did have the mney t save the Babyln Gallery but chse nt t d s. Last week, the Lib Dem cuncillrs put frward a prpsal t give ADEC £35,000 s they culd cntinue running the gallery but th
SO nw we knw the truth. The Try district cuncillrs did have the mney t save the Babyln Gallery but chse nt t d s.
Last week, the Lib Dem cuncillrs put frward a prpsal t give ADEC £35,000 s they culd cntinue running the gallery but the Tries chse instead t cntinue putting £150,000 int their fund t build a new leisure centre in the distant future.
The ther myth that mst peple can nw see thrugh is that it was nt ADEC wh chse t abandn the Babyln Gallery in preference t their ther bligatins t the arts. The truth is that the peple f Ely tld their elected cuncillrs lud and clear that the Ely Cinema had t be retained. Als, t be seen t be pulling the plug n all the utreach wrk that ADEC des, wuld have been very uncmfrtable fr the Try party.
I feel the visual arts are being unfairly singled ut by the district cuncil. Of all the arts, it needs t have its wn designated space t flurish. Music, dance and drama can all perate in an empty space, but art needs t be displayed prfessinally if it is t be prperly appreciated.
Why is it s imprtant t keep a public gallery pen at Babyln?
Of all the things which ADEC des, this is its mst imprtant cntributin t turism in Ely. As the secnd mst visited attractin after the cathedral, with 25,000 visitrs last year, it is a majr asset t the city.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
It prvides the peple f Ely and surrunding district with a cnstantly changing feast f visual art (fr prf f this, g and see the current shw by Jerry Andrews).
Much f its educatin prgramme is centred arund the current exhibitin, s children, students and adults can learn abut cntemprary art.
The gallery has helped Ely becme knwn as a centre fr the arts, and many smaller galleries and shps have grwn arund it.
This summer, with The Maltings clsed as well, there will be less fr visitrs t d n the riverside. The Babyln Gallery fits exactly int the Ely Plan, with its ideas abut expanding leisure facilities fr a grwing ppulatin.
Peple cnsidering cming t live here need t knw this is a vibrant place. Clsing this attractin sends all the wrng srt f messages.
I very much hpe thse peple in Ely, Cambridge and the surrunding twns and villages wh feel the same way, will let their Try cuncillrs knw that they wish t see the Babyln Gallery saved. But d it nw, r it will be t late.
TED CONEY, Waterside, Ely