Transport alternative is essential to Soham
I READ with alarm the headline in your Soham edition two week s ago concerning the possible building of houses on the old site of Soham s Railway Station. A town growing as quickly as Soham urgently requires an alternative form of public transport, to fr
I READ with alarm the headline in your Soham edition two week's ago concerning the possible building of houses on the old site of Soham's Railway Station.
A town growing as quickly as Soham urgently requires an alternative form of public transport, to free up the increasingly congested roads.
This problem will only get worse with the proposed building of the Mereham new town. Although Mereham will be some distance from Soham, the A10 is already a car showroom during the rush hour and will not be able to take all the new traffic.
Some of this will be sucked onto the A142 and A14 as an alternative route to Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
Aside from this, Soham is now big enough to warrant a railway station, even if there weren't the infrastructure in place to build one, ie: a site requiring a concrete platform and a bit of adjustment to the signalling.
Stagecoach has recently dropped the early service from Soham to Cambridge which will no doubt force existing bus users back onto the roads.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
All this means that the benefit of medical science is completely wasted. The extra 10 or 15 years on life expectancy is actually spent on the A14, A142 or in writing letters of complaint.