Transport alternative is essential to Soham
I READ with alarm the headline in your Soham edition two week s ago concerning the possible building of houses on the old site of Soham s Railway Station. A town growing as quickly as Soham urgently requires an alternative form of public transport, to fr
I READ with alarm the headline in your Soham edition two week's ago concerning the possible building of houses on the old site of Soham's Railway Station.
A town growing as quickly as Soham urgently requires an alternative form of public transport, to free up the increasingly congested roads.
This problem will only get worse with the proposed building of the Mereham new town. Although Mereham will be some distance from Soham, the A10 is already a car showroom during the rush hour and will not be able to take all the new traffic.
Some of this will be sucked onto the A142 and A14 as an alternative route to Cambridge.
Aside from this, Soham is now big enough to warrant a railway station, even if there weren't the infrastructure in place to build one, ie: a site requiring a concrete platform and a bit of adjustment to the signalling.
Stagecoach has recently dropped the early service from Soham to Cambridge which will no doubt force existing bus users back onto the roads.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 9 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
All this means that the benefit of medical science is completely wasted. The extra 10 or 15 years on life expectancy is actually spent on the A14, A142 or in writing letters of complaint.