Traders will have little influence
I NOTE from these pages that members of the Ely Traders Association are standing in the forthcoming local elections in the hope of influencing the council s decisions on parking. I wonder if they appreciate the implications of this. As an ex-councillor m
I NOTE from these pages that members of the Ely Traders' Association are standing in the forthcoming local elections in the hope of influencing the council's decisions on parking.
I wonder if they appreciate the implications of this.
As an ex-councillor myself I know that when you become a councillor, you are required to submit a list of interests to the clerk.
When a subject in which you have a personal interest is being discussed, you are not allowed to have any input and have to leave the chamber.
You may also want to watch:
In the case of City of Ely Parish Council, this should not be a problem as car parking is not one of the issues that comes under its remit so no influence could be brought to bear. If this is the only reason a traders' representative has decided to stand, maybe they should think again.
In the case of the district Council, although it does cover parking, as explained above, the member could not participate for the reason given and once again, no influence could be brought to bear.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
As a parish councillor you are there to take a view on all the issues for which the council is responsible in the parish. As a district councillor the same applies but for the whole district.
It is pointless anyone standing to advance their own particular interest. They will achieve more by working with a pressure group.