Traders will have little influence
I NOTE from these pages that members of the Ely Traders Association are standing in the forthcoming local elections in the hope of influencing the council s decisions on parking. I wonder if they appreciate the implications of this. As an ex-councillor m
I NOTE from these pages that members of the Ely Traders' Association are standing in the forthcoming local elections in the hope of influencing the council's decisions on parking.
I wonder if they appreciate the implications of this.
As an ex-councillor myself I know that when you become a councillor, you are required to submit a list of interests to the clerk.
When a subject in which you have a personal interest is being discussed, you are not allowed to have any input and have to leave the chamber.
In the case of City of Ely Parish Council, this should not be a problem as car parking is not one of the issues that comes under its remit so no influence could be brought to bear. If this is the only reason a traders' representative has decided to stand, maybe they should think again.
In the case of the district Council, although it does cover parking, as explained above, the member could not participate for the reason given and once again, no influence could be brought to bear.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
As a parish councillor you are there to take a view on all the issues for which the council is responsible in the parish. As a district councillor the same applies but for the whole district.
It is pointless anyone standing to advance their own particular interest. They will achieve more by working with a pressure group.