Time to save countryside
ALTHOUGH I have only lived in Ely for four years, I lived in Tunbridge Wells prior to my move here for over 18 years, and what worries me is that what has happened to Tunbridge Wells is in danger of happening to Ely, especially with regard to the Roswell
ALTHOUGH I have only lived in Ely for four years, I lived in Tunbridge Wells prior to my move here for over 18 years, and what worries me is that what has happened to Tunbridge Wells is in danger of happening to Ely, especially with regard to the Roswell Pits.
Tunbridge Wells was a rather lovely, if somewhat "genteel" spa town which is now; due to the development that has taken place, a clone of any other place in the country. Along with the ever-increasing drugs and drink problem.
If this is what we really want to see happen to Ely? Become a clone of anywhere else? The Pits are the last remaining place for people to escape from "development" and to enjoy the extremely scarce peace and quiet of the country. There comes a time when the people have to decide that the development is not the be all and end all. To adapt a well-known credit card advert: "Digital camera £89. Roswell Pits...priceless".
I think it's time for the people of Ely to stand up and be counted. We either have Ely become exactly like everywhere else, or we save, not just for us, but for our children and their children's children a wonderful part of the country.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 2 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 7 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 8 Photographer Dan flies high after winning national competition
- 9 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 10 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa