Time to save countryside
ALTHOUGH I have only lived in Ely for four years, I lived in Tunbridge Wells prior to my move here for over 18 years, and what worries me is that what has happened to Tunbridge Wells is in danger of happening to Ely, especially with regard to the Roswell
ALTHOUGH I have only lived in Ely for four years, I lived in Tunbridge Wells prior to my move here for over 18 years, and what worries me is that what has happened to Tunbridge Wells is in danger of happening to Ely, especially with regard to the Roswell Pits.
Tunbridge Wells was a rather lovely, if somewhat "genteel" spa town which is now; due to the development that has taken place, a clone of any other place in the country. Along with the ever-increasing drugs and drink problem.
If this is what we really want to see happen to Ely? Become a clone of anywhere else? The Pits are the last remaining place for people to escape from "development" and to enjoy the extremely scarce peace and quiet of the country. There comes a time when the people have to decide that the development is not the be all and end all. To adapt a well-known credit card advert: "Digital camera £89. Roswell Pits...priceless".
I think it's time for the people of Ely to stand up and be counted. We either have Ely become exactly like everywhere else, or we save, not just for us, but for our children and their children's children a wonderful part of the country.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely