The Polish Play Was Masterly
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them g
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them gradually involved the audience by having two other members of the cast seemingly part of the audience and with unthreatening chat about their village in Poland in comparison to Ely, about family life and responsibilities, fathers and daughters, rites of passage, and ending with members of the audience taking Polaroid photos for them and having a drink and cakes together in the interval.
It was a delightful and unusual event, the kind of occasion at which ADEC excels. The props were minimal but excellent and the performances were altogether professional, and yet friendly. I hope the cuts in ADEC's budget will not prevent this kind of work, on their part, and pleasure, on the part of the audience, in the future.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months