The Polish Play Was Masterly
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them g
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them gradually involved the audience by having two other members of the cast seemingly part of the audience and with unthreatening chat about their village in Poland in comparison to Ely, about family life and responsibilities, fathers and daughters, rites of passage, and ending with members of the audience taking Polaroid photos for them and having a drink and cakes together in the interval.
It was a delightful and unusual event, the kind of occasion at which ADEC excels. The props were minimal but excellent and the performances were altogether professional, and yet friendly. I hope the cuts in ADEC's budget will not prevent this kind of work, on their part, and pleasure, on the part of the audience, in the future.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 2 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors