The Polish Play Was Masterly
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them g
ON Friday evening, ADEC brought to Ely the Farnham Maltings production of The Polish Play, a masterly piece of experimental community theatre about a Polish girl coming to Ely as an au pair, accompanied by her gregarious farmer father. The two of them gradually involved the audience by having two other members of the cast seemingly part of the audience and with unthreatening chat about their village in Poland in comparison to Ely, about family life and responsibilities, fathers and daughters, rites of passage, and ending with members of the audience taking Polaroid photos for them and having a drink and cakes together in the interval.
It was a delightful and unusual event, the kind of occasion at which ADEC excels. The props were minimal but excellent and the performances were altogether professional, and yet friendly. I hope the cuts in ADEC's budget will not prevent this kind of work, on their part, and pleasure, on the part of the audience, in the future.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 BBC camera crews hosted by Ely Business Park during Boat Race
- 2 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 3 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 4 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 5 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 6 Bodybuilding world champion raises £540 ahead of charity beauty pageant
- 7 Artist's poignant painting in memory of HRH Prince Philip
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 11 great outdoor pubs and when they are reopening
- 10 Charity chief executive raises £646 by running 252 miles in 71 days