That’s the way democracy works
Unfortunately, Brian Ashton and his Conservative colleagues do not seem to appreciate that there is no overall control on the district council. No committee is controlled by a single party. If two groups combine, as the Independents and Lib Dems did rec
Unfortunately, Brian Ashton and his Conservative colleagues do not seem to appreciate that there is no overall control on the district council.
No committee is controlled by a single party.
If two groups combine, as the Independents and Lib Dems did recently at the environment and transport committee, when discussing the car park, their combined strength will carry the day.
As the extension to the Forehill car park had not previously been discussed, no one had been authorised to approach the cathedral on behalf of the council.
Other ideas for car parking were in fact being discussed within the council at the time.
The horrified reaction, both locally and nationally, indicates that the Getty promise has not been forgotten.
- 1 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 2 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 3 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 4 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 5 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
- 8 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
If the Cresswells car park is under-used and liable to flooding, should we not improve it and negotiate an extension to the lease?
Brian Ashton has many ideas, some good, others less so.
None of them becomes policy until it has been discussed and a vote has been taken.
In a hung council, that is how democracy works.