State of tidal river is the cause of flooding
I HAVE followed with interest the articles and letters in the Ely Standard concerning the problems being experienced by the inhabitants of Welney. Having noted the concerns expressed by your correspondent Chris Howes, (March 29) however, I do feel that it
I HAVE followed with interest the articles and letters in the Ely Standard concerning the problems being experienced by the inhabitants of Welney.
Having noted the concerns expressed by your correspondent Chris Howes, (March 29) however, I do feel that it would be appropriate to reassure them that the issues at Welney arise from the state of the tidal river, which falls under the remit of the Environment Agency and that the works being carried out by the commissioners at St Germans and Salters Lode are not a cause of the extensive flooding of the roadway.
The works at St Germans are to build the biggest flood defence pumping station in the country and have no impact on the siltation problems at Denver. Nor are they in any way connected with the IWA Boat Festival or any other such event. Their purpose is to provide long-term flood protection to the middle level area.
The works at Salters Lode, which are connected with navigation but not specifically the IWA Festival, have involved desilting the lock and its immediate surrounds. In carrying out this work, the commissioners have had to remove some eight feet depth of silt from the structure, which can only emphasise how significant the problem of the tidal river siltation is.
You may also want to watch:
Clerk & chief executive
- 1 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 2 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 3 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 7 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 8 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 9 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 10 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
Middle level commissioners